Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The singing competition

Some time ago, I was in my teen years. Well, not exactly teen. I was still a kid. I was 11 years old if I can remember correctly (getting older has its weakness in the memory department). It was primary school and I was in standard 5. School was fun and filled with activities. I was one of those kids who teachers would push in front of the others to participate in all those activities. Any activities which involve speaking in front of a large crowd would involve me (like automatically). Story telling both in english and BM (they tried making me tell a story in arabic once-->didn't go quite so well), public speaking (or elocution, they used to call it?), and debating (this part flourished more in secondary school). You guys can imagine how the teachers actually pick one student out of the lot to represent the class. Actually, there were a lot of talented kids in my class. My class was one of the top classes in our batch. The teachers usually sent more than one class representatives for any competition which our class would usually bag all the top spots (number 1,2,3). Hehe, not to brag, but I was among the top students of every field in school. We covered the talented part. Well, the nerd or the brainy ones were in our class too. Not to mention the ones with the magic hands (artsy people) were also in our class. Somehow, It would be weird if there was one thing our class didn't have which was none. Hehehehee....

Anyhow, of all the competitions I participated in, there was one in particular that I remember most. The singing competition. Yeah, I know. Those people who know me now would go berserk reading this. I don't sing. But, somehow back in primary school the teachers said I could sing. Well, my music teacher overheard me singing a song by Ning Baizura (I can't remember the title) during choir practice and she said "You are going to be a singer one day". I was embarrassed of course! I didn't think anybody could hear me because I was obviously just singing to myself. Hehe..So, there was a singing competition coming up. Actually it was a talent show at our school. There was a category for acting, one for singing, one for dancing, and one for fashion show. Huhu, one of my friends wanted to be in the competition so badly but was afraid to do it alone. SO, me the good friend said "ok, lets form a group then".

It wasn't hard to find another girl with the same vision (too afraid to do it alone too) in a short time. There were three of us. We called our selves 'D Girls'. Don't ask me what the D stand for. We were 11 for God's sake! We thought that that name would sound cool. We practiced and practiced. Everyday. Seriously, Everyday after school. We had our dance routines, our melody figured out, and the gimic of course. GImic was big during my days as a kid. Hehe..

So, the day of the competition came. We sang and danced and did our gimic. It was awesome. We felt good about our performance. The crowd loved it (with the gimic, how couldn't they?). They gave us a big applause and cheered for more. We thought we got in our bags already. If we didn't get first place, surely second place wouldn't go to someone more deserving than us. So, we thought. hurm..We were wrong.

We didn't win at all. Not even third place. Weird. We did everything right. We sang, we danced and there was the gimic. Everybody loved the gimic. How could we not win? There must be some kind of mistake we thought. The people who won didn't have any gimic engineered during their performances. Well, we saw our music teacher later that day. She said, it was a singing competition not a dance or gimic competition. So, the person who sang the best, won. Haish, so much for being in the class that had all the talent the school could find. Well, that day we knew we didn't have one who could sing. (n_n)

No comments:

Post a Comment